Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gracelyn's giggles

I just love to watch Gracelyn while she sleeps. She will roll her eyes, make silly faces, stick out her tongue, frown, smile real big and my new favorite... laugh. She will open her mouth smile and then giggle while making little squeaky noises... like she was laughing. I just love it. I could sit and watch her all day, that is if she slept all day. She really doesn't sleep that much during the day. I went to take a shower and put her in the moses basket right outside the bathroom and she only slept for five minutes. I am pretty sure I still had soap in my hair but that didn't matter when my baby was screaming her head off.

It is funny, I will try EVERYTHING I can to keep her awake while she eats and then when she is done and falls asleep I lay her down and POOF she is instantly bright eyed and bushy tailed. One thing I have found out is that changing her diaper wakes her up and KEEPS her up. I used to nurse her and then change her after I was done, I soon learned that this stimulates her WAY too much and then we won't go to sleep. So now I will nurse her on one side, burp her and then she falls asleep. Then I get up and change her diaper so she is WIDE awake. Next, I nurse her on the other side, burp her she falls asleep AND THEN I swaddle her and put her in her crib. It makes a big difference and then she stays asleep until the next feeding.

WOW... so many things you learn day by day! I am so thankful for Grace!! The Lord has the most amazing amount of Grace towards us and I am so thankful. I need to be better about giving myself Grace and not being upset that I don't know things. I know motherhood is a learning process and I know it is impossible to know everything!

We are still working on her weight gain. We have till Wednesday and she needs to be 9 lbs and 3 oz... she was 8lbs6oz at the last appointment so lets hope she makes her goal. Then I can take her off the tight schedule and let her make her own.

Thank you for reading and praying!

1 comments:

PrescriptionForSuccess said...

Oh, you are on your "babymoon", isn't it awesome? You are doing SO well, figuring stuff out. It is CRAZY how much you learn every day, huh? I wouldn't worry about the weight thing. My doctor was concerned as well, but my midwife said that all babies lose weight the first week (for a few days they are only getting colostrom!) and its not something to be worried about if they haven't caught up yet (especially if they were at a healthy weight at birth). I went back and pressed my doctor on this and he said that it was just a thing that they like to "check on" but my midwife was actually right, and its no biggie!